Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Movie - #? In the Company of Men

It has been a long dry spell... I have not seen many movies or read many books that I've enjoyed that much. I've tired... and either I'm "down" or maybe I am just out of luck.

This movie... I don't know what to think. It was "mean" spirited. It was interesting that it was rated "R" - not for violence or sex, but for being mean. It even said so on the Internet.

I love this Aaron Eckhart. He's in my Church, maybe. If his movies are any indication, he has ventured off the "path". But I figure he picks some movies simply for the unique story. This movie would have been for that reason.

His character is angry at society and how women can be hateful to men in general. The sexes really are not that good to each other; there is a basis within the story for the "mean" behavior the sexes force on each other.

Generally we do not see men try to justify their vindictive behavior... but that is what this movie did. I remain confused, but also somewhat grateful for a different story. At times the movie seemed a bit clumsy, but overall Aaron played the part well. While his character was consistent in his negative behaviors, it was surprising how things were played out.

My hope is that this hateful view that men have of women, and women have of men is only bad perception. It was sad to see this "evil" played out with so little regard for the feelings of others. I'm just not sure that many people are like this... although I guess that some are.

I don't think it is a bad thing to to accept the possibility that people can be so awful. But I also think it would be a bad idea to believe that people are normally so evil.

Very good story (meaning unique or interesting, not "nice), fairly well done... hard to see, but not a waste of time.

No comments: