Sunday, October 9, 2011

Movies #? - Get Low


The movies I like best are the ones that I can relate too.  For example, I have a thing for "A Christmas Carol", especially as I quickly approach old-geezer-hood.  I freely admit there are things that I hate about "A Christmas Carol", but mostly I like the story about the bitter old man.  I relate.

It is nice that there are movies about such from time to time.  And such good stories too.  "Get Low" is a new favorite.  It does not hurt that I find peace in the solid country simplicity of the characters, and that the lead guy is Robert Duvall.  What is it about that drawl that makes such a good story teller?  He reminds me of my dad as well.

This is a story about mistakes and regrets, and finding a way to forgive self.  It is a story about a man that does not want forgiveness.  He wants to go on hating himself for what he has done.  He never wants to stop hating himself.

I find that odd.  Forgiving something in the past seems pretty easy.  What is hard to forgive is a character that hasn't changed.  What would one do if they hated who they were?  Good story, amazing - AMAZING cast, great photography, well done.  I can't say enough.

No comments: