Friday, September 17, 2010

Movies #? - Bobby


It has been a dry spell... maybe my expectations are higher, or I'm failing to find the good books and movies that inspire me to go back to my blog...

Today's pick for a movie is "Bobby". I wonder how much of the movie is based on some sort of history; but it is all about the day that Robert Kennedy was assassinated at the Ambassador Hotel in 1968. It is one of those historical accounts that picks up on the impact of everyday folk; not just the "well known", but those who were there.

It is a fast paced story that covers a host of participants. The movie was loaded with an all-star cast - Freddy Rodriguez, Anthony Hopkins, Helen Hunt, Lindsay Lohan, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Elijah Wood... which was a critical component of the story. The familiar faces helped you to adapt to a story of many sub-stories. One was able to connect quickly.

What happens is the perspective of "having been there". If tobacco kills 1,200 people a day, why is this story so memorable? Sometimes I have felt that too much drama for one death is a slap in the face of all those that died in a drunk-driving accidents, or from cancer. But this story was able to capture the violence of it all... how quickly everything can come to a close; and how some public figures carry so much hope in the hearts and minds of the people. I get it... I see why this was so painful; perhaps because it is one reality among many.

I'm grateful I saw the movie.

No comments: