Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Books - #? Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

I thank God for excellent literature. Once again, my life has been changed - at least for as long as I have the memory to thereby benefit.

I attribute my undertaking to study this book to my ever powerful Stake President, President Standage. His influence was all it took for me to tackle the 750 page marvel.

I thank God for Lincoln's life where he demonstrated that "the hand can't say to the foot, I have no need of thee", as we are all a part of the body of Christ. President Lincoln had the foresight and the leadership to coordinate leadership with a wide range of personalities and as a result - he pulled the nation together in the midst of a great struggle.

As a Southerner, I'm not sure I ever had a real education on President Lincoln. This wonderful book gave me insight to better understand.

Had I lived in President Lincoln's day, I would like to believe that I would have loved him for what he taught and for how he lead. I hope that I would have. But thanks to those who have immortalized his name, I have the chance to love him now... and all those who worked and labored to see his vision come.

But I think the joy of having read this book will multiply in all my remaining days.

No comments: